Appreciated property can be transferred to a charity without recognizing capital gain. In return, the charity can give you the right to annual payments of income based on the fair market value of the property, either as initially valued (a charitable remainder annuity trust) or as revalued annually (a charitable remainder unitrust). To the extent that the value of your right to the income is less than the value of the transferred property, you can get a charitable income tax deduction.